Kilcoe National School
Skibbereen, Co. Cork
The Irish Primary School curriculum identifies three primary aims of primary education:
• to enable the child to live a full life as a child and to realise his or her potential as a unique individual
• to enable the child to develop as a social being through living and co-operating with others and so contribute to the good of society
• to prepare the child for further education and lifelong learning.
The curriculum is learner-centred. It emphasises the importance of literacy, numeracy, and language, while at the same time responding to changing needs in science and technology, social personal and health education, and citizenship.
The curriculum is presented in six subject areas comprising 11 subjects along with Religious Education. Click on each individual subject page below to learn more about our school Curriculum in Kilcoe National School
Physical Education: PE/Sports
Social, Personal and Health Education (SPHE): SPHE
Religious Education (RE): Religion
Extra curricular/out of school activities
In addition to the above subject area's the students are provided with opportunities in many extra-curricular areas including:
• Visits to theatre, to concerts, educational tours;
• Visiting Theatre Companies, musicians performing in the school, other opportunities as they arise.
• Swimming classes for infants – 6th classes,
• Choir involvement in Sunday Masses and School Masses,
• Choir / singing practices;
• Instrumental music (tin whistle, Button Accordion, Piano Accordion, Guitar, Fiddle, Flute, Concertina, Banjo)
• Christmas concerts;
• Quizzes i.e. Skibbereen Library Quiz, Credit Union Quiz
• Sport: involvement in Boys/Girls Gaelic Football Competitions, rounders; school sports day,
• Healthy Eating
• Safe cycling and skills.
• Road Safety
• Green school