Kilcoe National School
Skibbereen, Co. Cork
In Kilcoe National School, we endorse the aims of the Primary School Curriculum for drama:
• To enable the child to become drama literate.
• To enable the child to qreate a permanent bridge between make-believe, play and the art form of theatre.
• To develop the child's ability to enter physically, emotionally, and intellectually into the drama world in order to promote questioning, empowering and empathetic skills.
• To enable the child to develop the social skills necessary to engage openly, honestly and playfully with others.
• To enable the child to co-operate and communicate with others in solving problems in the drama and through the drama.
• To enable the child to understand the structures and modes of drama and how they create links between play, thought and life.
Our teachers regularly integrate drama methodoligies into the teaching of other subject areas in order to aid student learning and understanding. Occasionally, visiting drama groups visit the school to give drama workshops and to perform a show for the students.
We also love performing on stage and every child is given to opportunity to act, sing and dance in our annual Christmas Production
The Junior room performed Whoops a Daisy Angel
The Middle room performed The Pied Piper of Hamelin
The Senior Room performed 'Ilen TV'
The whole school enjoyed a performance from a visiting drama group from England. They put on a fantastic show about the Socerers Apprentice. They even selected children from the audience to take part in the show!.
In the Spring, Karen Minihane from Schull facilitated a six-week block of drama lessons for all the children in the school. The classes were great fun for all.